2.08.2011

Another SOA Post

Hi. Media Hero Here...

First off I would like to welcome The Big Dawg to Media Hero. As I am sure you have noticed I suck something awful at this whole posting blogs thing and I am hoping his presence will help boost me to post more. He will be posting often as well I assume. But as many of you know "This may sound cocky but I used to work in TV" so The Big Dawg should have known when I started talking about this show that it would be an instant classic.

Since Big Dawg stole my thunder and posted about this series before the namesake of the website had the opportunity, I won't waste anyone's time with details about individuals in the show or information about the writers. I will just spend a few minutes of your day talking about my favorite characters and a few aspects about the show that really got me interested when I started watching. I, like the Big Dawg, had heard great things about this show from so many different people ranging from close friends to radio guys that talk about their Tivo all the time. So since I am the person that has to watch everything I DVR, I set up my DVR to record the entire season 3 of SOA knowing that I would be forced to watch the first two seasons before I watched 3. I bought season 1... knocked it out in three days... Then during a freak ice storm/gift from God, I bought and watched Season 2 in about 19 hours. Addicted. Plain and Simple.

Who do I identify with the most in this series:

At first I would have started out with Jax but after two plus seasons, by far my favorite character is Opie. He is the quiet yet strong best friend of Jax. For those that are watching the show and think he looks familiar... He is definitely the guy from Remember The Titans (Gerry Bertier). He is a father of two young children and he struggles mightily with the balance of being a single father and a club member. His character has gone from almost an outsider when he came out of jail to what I see as one of the more powerful members in the club. His influence is all over almost every decision Clay and Jax make.


After a long debate with the four or five people that are seriously addicted to this show that I hang out with, it has been determined that as much as I want to be Opie in our MC we plan on starting, I am not Opie. I am Tig, the speak first, think later smart ass ex Marine. I can handle that because even though I hated him for his role in the ending of Season 1. Tig has proved himself with some solid one liners and also he is simply a hardass. Tig and Clay have one of the type of friendships that only certain people can understand. So, I do accept my role as Tig in the Mansfield SOA Chapter.

Another thing I really dig about this show is the way that they incorporate covers of songs into each episode. The season finale of season 2's finale montage is set to a cover of "Gimme Shelter" originally by The Stones and the way the montage was shot and edited to the music makes it rank in the top 5 of most epic TV moments I have seen in the last 10 years.


This show, for me, is just something I can finally get into that I look forward to catching up and hosting 'Sons' night at the house for all the guys and the old ladies to come over and hang out. I love me some Breaking Bad and Dexter, but the lack of new Breaking Bad in my life over the last year and Dexter's last season flop of a finale has really elevated the excitement over a new show to get into. I am still very dedicated to Dexter and Breaking Bad, and I know the excitement for those will go up as their new seasons approach... but right now I am hardcore SOA.


A shout out to my "Old-Lady" Media Hero-ette who has a love for Tara, Jax's Old Lady. I must say the more she transforms into the role of "Old Lady" of a Son... The more I like her but also the more I realize she could completely kick my ass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment