9.29.2010

Lone Star Canned Already?

If you can't tell from the few posts I have posted here on Media Hero, I am not really into many shows that show up on your network stations. Lie to Me is a decent show but the lack of a real running story kills me, I am a fan of the dramatic story lines that carry on from week to week like that of Breaking Bad or Dexter. Every week you are left waiting for the next weeks episode to start. Most shows on network television don't do that for me, and the ones that try I just do not get into (Lost, 24). Every new television season I ask for input from my 'media friends' on new shows that they are hearing about and then I check them out if they sound interesting to me. A guy I work with suggested I check out Lonestar, a show about a Texas con-man, that is shot right here in Dallas and all over the state. So, I set the DVR, and I decided late Saturday to get the pilot out of the way before I set the rest of the season up to record.


This show was amazing. The pilot did exactly what a good episode of Dexter or BB would do, it left me waiting for Monday night's episode 2. Bob Allen, a conman who specializes in ripping people off with oil drilling leases and mineral right contracts, leads two lives with two women and two different yet similar money making schemes. He is married to one women in Houston and by the end of episode one is running off to Vegas to marry a lady from Midland. The plot twists and turns are all centered around his father in law's, played by the great Jon Voight, oil company "Thatcher Inc." and Bob's response to a job he is offered there. Long story short, he is going to try to rip off one of the largest oil companies in Texas. The first two episodes remind me of how I felt after two episodes of Breaking Bad. I still had no real clue of what was going on but I definitely wanted to keep watching to see what would happen.


Then the hammer came down yesterday, Fox has officially canceled 'Lone Star". Fox made the mistake of putting a first season show up against the powerful Monday night line up. In my opinion, they also dropped the ball on the advertising of this show. The only reason I knew about it was because of a friend telling me. They need to take hint from the people over at AMC and get the word out. AMC visually raped people's faces with their new show Rubicon. Every commercial break it was Rubicon and the Shake Weight. While Rubicon is a decent show that fills my time when nothing else is on, it is not the powerful show AMC is used to running out there like BB or Mad Men. It still got ratings though.



My hope for 'Lone Star' is that we aren't done seeing it, I hope the producers reorganize and pitch the idea to a cable network and we see it come back on TNT or AMC or anywhere. The show had potential to have a few good seasons, because lets be honest eventually the story would crash and burn because you can only do so much to keep the two lives separate.



My pick for next show dead is "No Ordinary Family" or whatever it is called, that just looks dumb and I don't think that the star power of Rita and the dude from 'The Shield' can save that crap idea for a show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment